The average mobile marketer uses 5 or fewer media sources - typically, just the traditional UA channels. However, their CPIs tend to be much higher than marketers using 6 or more media sources, $3.58 compared to $2.24. It’s time to start diversifying your ad sources. Enter on-device advertising.
Singular and ironSource Aura partnered on a report highlighting everything you need to know about why and how to master on-device advertising. Read on for some of the key takeaways or download the report to learn more.
On-device advertising connects advertisers directly with carriers and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), allowing you to reach users natively at pivotal moments throughout the device experience - such as onboarding a new device. With tech development pushing on-device advertising past static factory preloads and into new placement opportunities, advertisers can expect a conversion rate (CVR) upwards of 20% with this channel.
Over the last few years, on-device advertising platforms have shown strong performance. In fact, on-device advertising together accounts for 8 spots in Singular’s 2021 ROI top charts. This means it’s more essential than ever to know the unique characteristics of this channel and what are the best practices.
The benefits and unique characteristics of on-device advertising
In addition to driving strong ROAS and high-value users, on-device advertising offers some unique benefits:
1. High quality inventory that’s accessible to all: On-device advertising is no longer restricted to massive brands.
2. Higher than average conversion rates: Such campaigns have a proven track record for driving higher conversion rates.
3. Drive longer-term value: The LTV curve for on-device campaigns starts slower but then increases at a faster rate.
4. Native device experience: Advertisers can connect with users in a unique placement that feels like part of their natural device setup experience
" As platforms, app stores, and operating systems jockey for position in the ecosystem, integrating our app into an end user’s discovery experience is more imperative than ever. Native-on-device advertising is able to accomplish that transparently at scale.”
- Mike Brooks, CRO at WeatherBug
Best practices, strategies, and tactics for on-device campaigns
The report also dives into how to get started to maximize the potential of your campaigns.
1. Measure performance with a long-term view: Attribution is unique for on-device campaigns and using a longer attribution ensures accurate performance.
2. Don't restrict to a device model: Restricting yourself to certain settings, such as the device model, can reduce your scale by limiting the number of users you’ll reach.
3. Utilize all the placements available to you: It’s essential to know your goals and then find the on-device placements that help you hit those goals.
4. A/B test the correct elements: A/B testing on-device channels is critical in optimizing your strategy.
" Your user engagement will be influenced by a mix of your brand awareness, how large your target audience is and the amount of investment in other marketing channels offline and online”
- Fabien-Pierre Nicolas, VP Marketing at SmartNews