The mobile app ecosystem has proven itself to be both a prosperous and lucrative industry. With more than 3.4 billion smartphone owners worldwide and 175 billion app downloads last year alone, this $950 billion industry serves consumers with all-encompassing abilities. We’ve compiled some of the top statistics in the mobile app ecosystem to highlight just how influential this ever-changing industry is.
Learn about notable trends, consumer engagement, and which countries take the reigns in expanding the flourishing industry.
App Economy Statistics: App Stores and Downloads
1. According to AppAnnie, worldwide app downloads amount to 205.4 billion in 2018 and are expected to grow at a 7.7% CAGR rate from 2017 to 2022.
4. Worldwide app downloads grew 13.5% from 81 billion to almost 92 billion from 2016 to 2017.
5. Downloads in both App Stores continue to steadily grow with a 10% increase YoY from Q1 2017 with 27.5 billion downloads in Q1 2018.
6. During the first quarter of 2018, Google Play exceeded 19.2 billion downloads, whereas iOS downloads surpassed 8.2 billion. Google Play’s more pronounced growth is likely attributed to Android’s high adoption rate in developing countries.
8. Augmented reality games make up less than 1% of total game downloads on both iOS and Google Play, at 3,000 games out of 1 million gaming apps available.
9. From 2015 to 2017, China saw a 125% increase in downloads, strengthening its spot as the dominant regional market. India, which saw a 215% increase in downloads and app usage due to unlimited 4G access, exists as the second largest regional market. The U.S., which makes up the third strongest regional market, and saw a 5% decrease in downloads during these two years.
10. Along with downloading from iOS App Store, China’s gaming market thrives with over 400 Android App Stores, including China’s most popular Android App Store, Tencent MyApp, which holds 25% of China’s Android app market, 360 Mobile Assistant with 15% of the market, and Xiaomi App Store with 11% of the market.
11. China’s app market prevails with 97.36 billion downloads in 2018, which is over 5x as many downloads a the second leading market, India, with 18.11 billion apps, and the U.S. with 10.94 billion.
12. In 2018, Chinese gamers downloaded about 6x more games (29.18 billion) than Indian gamers (5.65 billion) and U.S. gamers (4.05 billion).
App Economy Statistics: Consumer Behavior
14. Apps account for over 80% of time spent on mobile devices (smartphone and tablet).
15. Social media apps are most frequently used (39%) followed by gaming and messaging apps tied for second place (10%), and then retail apps (7%).
16. In the first quarter of 2018, 47% of total transactions were completed in apps and m-commerce is expected to amount to 39.6% of total ecommerce revenue in 2018.
17. Generally, consumers spend 7x more time in native apps and use them 13x more often than mobile browsers.
19. The worldwide gaming population exceeds 2.1 billion gamers.
21. A recent study by NewZoo covering three prominent gaming markets, the U.S., UK, and Germany, found that 95% of gamers play mobile games, and men are more likely to spend money on apps than women.
23. In most markets, the average smartphone user has more than 80 apps on their phone, and uses close to 40 of them per month.
24. In China, users have the most number of apps installed (approx. 100) and use less than half of them (approx. 40). India’s smartphone owners use the most apps (a little over 40) and install around 80.
26. Chinese app users spent over 200 billion hours in apps across all stores in Q4 2017, which is over 3x more hours than India, where app users spent about 50 billion hours in apps, and the U.S., where users spent a little over 30 billion hours.
App Economy Statistics: User Acquisition & App Marketing
27. 82% of app users never look below the top 25 search results in app stores.
28. 30% of users download the app ranked #1 in a specific category, 17% download the app ranked #2 and 12% download #3. Apps #10 on the list or lower are downloaded by almost 0% of users.
29. More than 65% of app downloads come from organic searches.
30. Enjoyment is key to monetization - 20% of paying gamers are motivated to pay to show their support for the game developer.
31. 44% of mobile gamers agree that they prefer to see more loyalty and reward programs offered for in-game payments as a way to improve their experiences.
35. Apps convert users 3x more than mobile web users do.
36. 19% of users have experienced payment fraud while gaming.
App Economy Statistics: Revenue and Advertising Spend
37. Mobile ad spend accounts for about 51% of digital ad spend - $72.5 billion in 2016.
39. Consumer spend in Q1 2018 surpassed all past records as global iOS and Google Play consumer spend increased 22% YoY to $18.4 billion.
40. In 2018, consumers worldwide spent the most in the iOS app store, $53.07 billion, followed by Google Play at $26.96 billion, and China’s third party Android platforms not too far behind with $26.42 billion.
41. Chinese smartphone users have spent the most on games, so far, in 2018, spending $34.43 billion, followed by Japanese gamers with $14.36 billion and U.S. gamers with $13.03 billion.
44. Asia accounted for over 60% of gaming spend in 2016.
45. South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan saw a drastic increase in UA activity and downloads up 37% in 2017.
46. By country, China drives the market with almost $44 billion in consumer spending predicted throughout 2018.
47. Average revenue per user in the top 3 countries is as follows: China at $38.49, Japan at $90.57, and the U.S. at $56.72.
49. China earned $1.7 billion in Q3 2016 through iOS App Store revenue, placing it 15% ahead of the U.S, and its gaming market worth is expected to double by 2022.
50. Japan’s mobile gaming revenue, from both iOS and Google Play, continues to rise and surpass that of the U.S., as it rose 35% in June 2017.